Design of Machine Members -I
- the coed shall gain appreciation and understanding of the planning perform in applied science, the steps concerned in coming up with and therefore the relation of style activity with producing activity a pair of. choice of correct materials to completely different machine parts supported their physical and mechanical properties. 3. Learn and understanding of the various kinds of failure modes and criteria. 4. Procedure for the various machine parts like fasteners, shafts, couplings, keys, axially loaded joints etc.
UNIT – I
INTRODUCTION: General issues within the style of Engineering Materials and their properties – choice –Manufacturing thought in style, tolerances and fits –BIS codes of steels.
STRESSES IN MACHINE MEMBERS: easy stresses – combined stresses – torsional and bending stresses – impact stresses – stress strain relation – numerous theories of failure – issue of safety – style for strength and rigidity – most popular numbers. the idea of stiffness in tension, bending, torsion and combined things – static strength style supported fracture toughness.
UNIT – II
STRENGTH OF MACHINE ELEMENTS: Stress concentration – theoretical stress concentration issue – fatigue stress concentration issue notch sensitivity – style for unsteady stresses – endurance limit – estimation of endurance strength – Goodman’s line – Soderberg’s line – changed Goodman’s line.
UNIT – III
Riveted and welded joints – style of joints with initial stresses – eccentric loading.
Bolted joints – style of bolts with pre-stresses – style of joints below eccentric loading – protection devices – each of uniform strength, completely different seals.
UNIT – IV
KEYS, COTTERS AND KNUCKLE JOINTS: style of keys-stresses in keys-cotter joints-spigot and socket, sleeve and cotter, jib and cotter joints- knuckle joints.
SHAFTS: style of solid and hollow shafts for strength and rigidity – style of shafts for combined bending and axial hundreds – shaft sizes – BIS code. Use of internal and external circlips, gaskets and seals (stationary & rotary).
UNIT – V
SHAFT COUPLING: Rigid couplings – muff, split muff and rim couplings, versatile couplings – rim coupling (modified).
II Year – II Semester
L T P C
4 0 0 3
DESIGN OF MACHINE MEMBERS – I
UNIT – VI
Stresses and deflections of whorled springs – extension -compression springs – springs for fatigue loading, energy storage capability – whorled torsion springs – co-axial springs, leaf springs.
Note: style knowledge book isn’t allowable for examination
- Machine Design/V.Bandari/ TMH Publishers a pair of. Machine style / Old North State Pandya Shah/Charotar publishing firm Pvt. restricted three. style knowledge book of Engineers-
- style of Machine parts / V.M. Faires/McMillan
- Machine style / Schaum Series/McGrawHill skilled
- Machine Design/ Shigley, J.E/McGraw Hill.
- style knowledge handbook/ K.Mahadevan & K. Balaveera Reddy/ CBS publishers.
- style of machine elements-Spotts/Pearson Publications half-dozen. Machine style –Norton/ Pearson publishers
Upon thriving completion of this course student ought to be ready to:
- Apply the planning procedure to engineering issues, together with the thought of technical and producing constraints.
- choose appropriate materials and significance of tolerances and fits in vital style applications.
- Utilize style knowledge hand book and style the weather for strength, stiffness and fatigue.
- determine the masses, the machine members subjected and calculate static and dynamic stresses to confirm safe style.