ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING – I
Course Studying Targets:
The course will deal with the next:
• Define planning and the design of water provide programs for a group/city/metropolis
• Present data of water high quality requirement for home utilization
• Impart understanding of significance of safety of water supply high quality and
enlightens the efforts concerned in changing uncooked water into clear potable water.
• Collection of valves and fixture in water distribution programs
• Impart data on design of water distribution community
Upon the profitable completion of this course, the scholars will be capable of:
• Plan and design the water and distribution networks and sewerage programs
• Determine the water supply and choose correct consumption construction
• Characterisation of water
• Choose the suitable appurtenances within the water provide
• Collection of appropriate remedy move for uncooked water therapies
UNIT–I Introduction: Significance and Necessity of Protected Water Provide programs,
Water borne illnesses, Move chart of public water provide system, Function of Environmental
Engineer, Company actions
Water Demand and Amount Estimation: Estimation of water demand for a city or
metropolis, Per capita Demand and components influencing it – Kinds of water calls for and its
variations- components affecting water demand, Design Interval, Elements affecting the Design
interval, Inhabitants Forecasting.
UNIT-II Sources of Water: Lakes, Rivers, Impounding Reservoirs, comparability of
sources on the subject of high quality, amount and different considerations- Capability of storage
reservoirs, Mass curve evaluation. Groundwater sources of water: Kinds of water bearing
formations, springs, Wells and Infiltration galleries, Yields from infiltration galleries.
Assortment and Conveyance of Water: Elements governing the number of the consumption
construction, Kinds of Intakes. Conveyance of Water: Gravity and Stress conduits, Sorts
of Pipes, Pipe Supplies, Pipe joints, Design features of pipe traces, laying of pipe traces
III 12 months – II Semester
L T P C
Four zero zero 3
ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING – I
UNIT-III High quality and Evaluation of Water: Traits of water–Bodily, Chemical
and Organic-Evaluation of Water – Bodily, Chemical and Organic traits.
Comparability of sources on the subject of quality- I.S. Ingesting water high quality requirements and
WHO pointers for consuming water
UNIT–IV Remedy of Water: Flowchart of water remedy plant, Remedy strategies:
Principle and Design of Sedimentation, Coagulation, Sedimentation with Coagulation,
UNIT-V Disinfection: Principle of disinfection-Chlorination and different Disinfection
strategies, Softening of Water, Removing of coloration and odours – Iron and manganese removing
–Adsorption-fluoridation and deflouridation–aeration–Reverse Osmosis-Iron trade–
UNIT–VI Distribution of Water: Necessities- Strategies of Distribution system,
Layouts of Distribution networks, Pressures within the distribution layouts, Evaluation of
Distribution networks: Hardy Cross and equal pipe strategies -Elements of
Distribution system: valves corresponding to sluice valves, air valves, scour valves and verify valves,
hydrants, and water meters–Laying and testing of pipe lines- number of pipe supplies,
Textual content Books
1. Environmental Engineering – Howard S. Peavy, Donald R. Rowe, Teorge George
Tchobanoglus – Mc-Graw-Hill Ebook Firm, New Delhi, 1985.
2. Components of Environmental Engineering – Ok. N. Duggal, S. Chand & Firm Ltd.,
New Delhi, 2012.
1.Water Provide Engineering – P. N. Modi.
2.Water Provide Engineering – B. C. Punmia
3.Water Provide and Sanitary Engineering – G. S. Birdie and J. S. Birdie
4.Environmental Engineering, D. Srinivasan, PHI Studying Personal Restricted, New Delhi,