GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING – I
Course Studying Goals:
The target of this course is:
• To allow the coed to search out out the index properties of the soil and classify it.
• To impart the idea of seepage of water by way of soils and decide the
• To allow the scholars to distinguish between compaction and consolidation of
soils and to find out the magnitude and the speed of consolidation settlement.
• To allow the coed to know the idea of shear power of soils,
evaluation of the shear parameters of sands and clays and the areas of their
Upon the profitable completion of this course
• The coed should know the definition of the assorted parameters associated to soil
mechanics and set up their inter-relationships.
• The coed ought to be capable to know the strategies of dedication of the assorted
index properties of the soils and classify the soils.
• The coed ought to be capable to know the significance of the completely different engineering
properties of the soil similar to compaction, permeability, consolidation and shear
power and decide them within the laboratory.
• The coed ought to be capable to apply the above ideas in day-to-day civil
UNIT – I Introduction: Soil formation – soil construction and clay mineralogy – Adsorbed
water – Mass- quantity relationship –Relative density , Mechanism of compaction – components
affecting – results of compaction on soil properties – compaction management.
UNIT – II Index Properties Of Soils: Grain measurement evaluation – Sieve and Hydrometer
strategies – consistency limits and indices – Varied Sorts of soil Classifications – Unified
soil classification and I.S. Soil classification.
III Yr – II Semester
L T P C
four zero zero 3
GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING – I
UNIT –III Permeability: Soil water – capillary rise – One dimensioned circulate of water
by way of soils – Darcy’s law- permeability – Elements affecting –laboratory dedication of
coefficient of permeability –Permeability of layered techniques. Complete, impartial and efficient
stresses –fast sand situation – 2-D circulate and Laplace’s equation – Seepage by way of soils –
Stream nets: Traits and Makes use of.
UNIT – IV Stress Distribution In Soils: Stresses induced by utilized hundreds –
Boussinesq’s and Westergaard’s theories for level hundreds and areas of various shapes–
Newmark’s affect chart – 2:1 stress distribution technique.
UNIT – V Consolidation: Compressibility of soils – e-p and e-log p curves – Stress
historical past – Idea of consolidation – Spring Analogy – Terzaghi’s principle of onedimensional Consolidation – Time fee of consolidation and diploma of consolidation –
Willpower of coefficient of consolidation (cv) – Over consolidated and usually
UNIT – VI Shear Power of Soils: Primary mechanism of shear power – Mohr –
Coulomb Failure theories – Stress-Pressure habits of Sands – Important Void Ratio – StressStrain habits of clays – Shear Power determination- varied drainage circumstances.
Textual content Books:
1. Primary and Utilized Soil Mechanics, Gopal Ranjan and A. S. R. Rao, New Age
2. Soil Mechanics and Basis Engineering, V. N. S. Murthy, CBS publishers
1. Fundamentals of Soil Mechanics, D. W. Taylor, Wiley.
2. An introduction to Geotechnical Engineering, Holtz and Kovacs; Prentice Corridor.
3. Fundamentals of Geotechnical Engineering, B M Das, Cengage Studying, New Delhi.
[content-egg module=Amazon template=list]